Charm is the art of having an attractive personality. Some people are born with this quality while others need to develop it. The good thing is through practice it can be acquired. Now why is this important?
Being charming cannot only help you in your relationships with the opposite sex, but it can also help you in your relationship with everyone even in business relationships.
When I think of charm I immediately think of James Bond. He has this way with the ladies; the way he projects is a desirable quality in many aspects of life.
In order to become a more charming person there are some things you can do:
BE GENUINELY INTERESTED IN PEOPLE
- Learn people names: According to Carnegie is the sweetest thing a person can hear. When someone tells you a name immediately repeat it, or relate it to something exaggerated so you never forget it.
- Practice the art of listening: Talk to as much people as you can. Try practicing this even in the line of a supermarket. Ask about their lives, their families, their jobs.
- Talk about other people interests: Don’t talk just about yourself or your interests.
- Build rapport with other people: This means being kind. Showing respect. That way people will warm up to you.
- Make eye contact: drop the cell phone while talking to other people.
Recommended book: How to gain friends and influence others by Dale Carnegie.
WORK ON YOUR CONFIDENCE
Confidence is the feeling of self-assurance. How do you project yourself? Again think of James Bond. He is a confident guy. You can’t expect people to like you if you don’t like yourself; you need to work on your confidence.
Be positive: I know there are some messed up things in the world, but you need to focus on the good things. Keep a positive attitude at all times. Try not to criticize other people. Leave the negativity behind and people will want to be around you.
Work on your health: Again, don’t expect others to love you if you don’t love yourself. Take care of your body, I am not saying you need to have six pack abs (although it would be cool) but try to live a healthy lifestyle, this is a mayor confidence booster.
Keep your peers in mind: Stay away from negative people. Your association is extremely important.
Recommended book: The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz
IMPROVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR
Do not become a clown! What I am trying to say here is you need to be able to make people laugh without being obnoxious or offensive. Some people are funny and outgoing by nature, if you are not you could try a couple of things:
- Try to learn some jokes: This is a cool icebreaker, specially if you are in a group.
- Learn to laugh at yourself
- Make fun of others: If you already built the relationship you can definitely poke at each other.
Recommended book: The 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Humorous People
A charming person knows how to adapt to different situations and knows how to respond well. You should be able to engage to different group of people and keep things interesting.
To achieve this you need to read. Read the newspapers, read The Guy Blog, read about politics, read about art, etc. You don’t have to be an expert in everything, but you should be able to hold your ground.
Recommended reading: Blogs, articles, newspapers.